Thursday, January 15, 2015

January 2, 2015: Challenge

Dear Orchard Hills Sisters,

This Sunday, the lesson taught in both Relief Society and Elder's Quorum/High Priest group is going to be an introduction to the Come Follow Me style of teaching. This is the methodology that has been instigated in all the youth classes and which our stake is anxious to have all of us learn as we teach in our many different roles and capacities in life. It is an exciting and amazing way to share the gospel with others and to help others gain their own powerful testimony of the truths of the restored gospel.

In preparation for our time tomorrow, I would love to have ALL our sisters contemplate the following 2 questions:

1) Who has been an influential teacher in your life? (Parent, school teacher, youth leader, etc.) What characteristics did they possess personally or utilize as a teacher that was so influential for you?

2) What is your favorite story about Christ in the scriptures? What makes it a special account for you?

I would love to have all sisters take a moment and contemplate your response to these questions. If you would be willing, I would love to have you respond to this email and share your responses...especially those we don't have the privilege of hearing from in R.S. each week.

This way of thinking about how we interact with others and how we can better emulate the Savior in our sacred roles and responsibilities as parents, grandparents, sisters, friends, teachers, etc. will truly change your life in wonderful ways. I can personally bear you that testimony. I hope as we embark on learning these new skills this year, that you will feel a new closeness to the Savior and a new tenderness in the relationships you share with those the Lord has sent for you to mentor and teach.

Sincerely,
Amy Carr

3 comments:

  1. I was a very shy teenager with a low self-esteem, with only one friend in my ward, and she was inactive. I didn't enjoy Young women's or going to the activities. Getting me to go to girls camp was a struggle. I had a Young Women's leader who befriended me. She would sit by me in the back of class and talk to me and goof off with me. She never pressured me to go to the activities but would hang out with me when I did go. I believe she was given that calling just for me. She helped strengthen my testimony and my self-esteem when others wouldn't give me the time of day.

    The story I like is The Good Samaritan. It isn't a story of Christ but its an example of how Christlike we should be. My Young Women's leader was a Good Samaritan to me by magnifying her calling.

    -Kim Tanner

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom has always been the one that has influenced me the most...Her love for the gospel, and unconditional love for me has helped me through some very tuff trials in my life. I have felt her prayers in my behalf while addressing my addictions smoking & drinking, divorce from an abusive husband and the challenges of being a single parent. When I thought I was a lost cause and it was just too late in my life for me to be happy she reminded me of the steps of repentance and that the Savior could help me feel clean again through the atonement. I have a testimony now that burns within my soul of the truthfulness of this gospel and I will forever be indebted to my Savior for the gift of repentance.

    My favorite story of Christ in the scriptures is when the women was healed by touching the hem of his robe.

    Lynette Hamner

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy,

    My most influential teacher was and is Dr. Ronald Staheli at BYU. He cares enough about his students to tell them hard things and then loves you as you grow to overcome challenges. He is fair, but sometime tough, but in such a gentle way. It is hard to describe. He helped me to see that being humble does not mean being unconfident and that confidence isn't arrogance. We are to know what we are good at doing and what we have the capability of doing. Our success does not make us better than others and other's successes do not belittle our accomplishments. (I am sure this makes no sense to anyone but me, but there you have it.)

    My favorite Christ story in the scriptures has always been in 3 Nephi when he visits the Nephites. I love that with all of the amazing things he accomplished, that one of his first priorities was to comfort the "least" among us. His love and tenderness towards those children helps me remember the most important people on earth. Our children. I felt this long before I became a mother myself. When I get caught up in things I think are important, I try to stop and remember what is truly of greatest value.

    Tracy Warby

    ReplyDelete